Sod: The Perfect Ground Covering for Your Lawn
When it comes to creating a beautiful and healthy lawn using high quality grass seed or fresh Canada #1 grass sod and astroturf is the first step to creating the perfect outdoor space. Our products are supplied and delivered fresh daily by local growers and distributors.
Choose from a Variety of Sod Options
We offer a Canada #1 quality grass sod that is 2’x5’(10 sqft per roll) that can be used in all areas of your lawn, we can show you how to create a lawn that will be the envy of the neighborhood. Sod can be picked up at our store or delivered for your convenience.
We also offer Astroturf, a synthetic turf product that’s perfect for outdoor spaces where natural grass isn’t feasible or desired. Our Astroturf is made from high-quality materials that look and feel like real grass, without the maintenance requirements.
It’s durable and long-lasting, making it an excellent choice for high-traffic areas or areas where pets and children play. With a variety of colors and textures available, we can help you create the perfect outdoor space with Astroturf.
If you’re unsure of how much sod you need, our team is here to help. We offer do-it-yourself consultations to help you get started, and we can provide accurate measurements to ensure you get the right amount of sod for your lawn. Contact us today to learn more about our sod or Astroturf products and how we can help you transform your outdoor space.
Sod Tips and Best Practices
Sod is a living and perishable product that requires proper care and maintenance to ensure that it takes root and thrives on your property. Here are some tips and best practices to follow when installing your new sod:
– Water your sod immediately after installation to help it take root.
– Minimize traffic on the new grass sod for the first 2 weeks.
– Under normal conditions your first lawn cut should be 10-14 days after installation. Do not water the grass the day before to allow it to dry before you walk on the grass.
– Set your mower 1 level higher than your normal height. Water Immediately after you finish mowing the new lawn.
– Quantity of water depends on the time of year and soil conditions..
– In addition to Sod we offer a high quality Grass seed for Sunny, Shady or mixed areas, we also have mixes with clover seed to help with diseases, natural insects repellent and lowers maintenance time.
What is Sod and Why is it Important for Your Lawn?
Sod, Turf, Rolls of grass are all the same product and are a popular choice for you and our short summer growing season. Sod is essentially a layer of pre-grown grass that is grown on specialized farms and then cut into thin strips or rolls for easy installation.
Grass sod starts off by local Growers preparing the soil base then using high quality seed and maintaining that grass for 18-24 months. Then it is ready to cut into 2’x5’ pieces , it is cut, delivered and depending on the time of year it is recommended that it is installed within 24 hours of purchase.
Using Sod has many benefits, you have a 2 year head start on any seed you would install yourself, it is grown and maintained by expert farmers. New Sod will reduce the weeds in your backyard and you have quick results as you will be able to use the area within 2 weeks of installation, compared to seed that may take several weeks (4-5) before you can use the area. Sod is very effective and controls soil erosion on areas that are sloped or have large amounts of water going over the area.
Grass seeding of course is more cost effective and easier to install, it is great for reseeding existing lawns that have bare spots or need some filling in. All you need to do is rake your old grass, install the new seed and cover with ¼-1/2 inch of our special planting mix and water. At Sources we sell high quality grass seed suited for this purpose perfectly.
For both Sod and seed fertilizing and proper maintenance is key to keeping your lawn looking great. Sources also offers high quality and fertile topsoil, contact us today for more information or to set up an order.
Whether you’re looking to revamp your existing lawn or start from scratch, our team is here to help. We offer landscaping design and installation services to help you achieve the outdoor space of your dreams. With our expert knowledge and guidance, we can help you choose the right type of sod for your lawn, ensure accurate measurements, and provide tips on how to care for your new lawn.
How to Install Your New Sod
At Sources Inc., we want to ensure that your sod installation is successful and long-lasting. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your new lawn:
1. Prepare the Soil: Before laying down the sod, make sure to remove any rocks, weeds, or other debris from the soil. Use a tiller or rake to break up the soil and create a smooth, even surface. Adding compost or other organic matter to the soil can also help improve soil quality and promote healthy grass growth. At Sources Inc., we also offer topsoil to help you prepare your lawn for sod installation.
2. Add 2-3 inches of new topsoil to help with leveling and creating proper slopes so that the water is running away from your house and the sod is laying flat on the new topsoil. The top inch should be loose and not overly compacted so that the new sod can establish its roots easily and water can penetrate the top layer of soil. Before installation a new sod fertilizer should be used to encourage the new root growth. .
3. Lay the Sod: When laying down the sod, make sure to stagger the seams and avoid leaving gaps between the rolls. Use a sharp knife or scissors to trim the edges as needed.
4. Water the Sod: After laying down the sod, water it immediately to help it take root. Water the sod deeply and frequently for the first few weeks to help establish strong roots. Avoid overwatering, as this can lead to fungus and other problems.
5. Avoid Walking on the Sod: To avoid damaging the delicate root system, avoid walking on the sod for the first few weeks after installation.
6. Mow the Sod: Once the sod has established strong roots, it’s time to start mowing. Keep the grass height to about 3 inches and avoid cutting more than one-third of the grass blade at a time.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your new sod lawn is healthy, beautiful, and long-lasting. Contact us today to learn more about our sod options and how we can help you create the perfect outdoor space for your home or business.